Aggressively Defending Those Accused Of Domestic Assault
While any type of criminal charge needs to be taken very seriously, this is especially the case in domestic assault matters. Also sometimes called domestic violence, even an accusation of domestic assault can have a major and lasting impact on your life.
If you are facing domestic assault accusations or charges, talk to an attorney immediately. At Sheldon, Davis, Wells & Hockensmith, P.C., in Keene, New Hampshire, we have 30 years of criminal defense experience that we put to work for you. We are aggressive in our protection of your rights, working tirelessly to see that your side of the story is heard and taken into consideration by the courts when determining the outcome of the case.
The Effects Of A Conviction
It is extremely important to retain legal counsel as soon as possible after a domestic violence incident, as we can begin protecting your rights and future immediately. Our firm knows the impact that a domestic assault or stalking conviction can have on your life. Consequences include:
- Not only are you facing jail time, but you may be limited by a protective order (restraining order) and are therefore unable to go back to your home.
- You may be separated from your children and unable to see them.
- A conviction would mean a criminal record, which may prevent you from obtaining a job, housing, loans and other opportunities.
- Your domestic assault conviction would be public record.
- You would lose your right to gun ownership.
The Dos And Don’ts
- DON’T: Do not try to contact the alleged victim yourself or through a third party. This may violate the terms of a restraining or no-contact order and, overall, it is just a bad idea.
- DON’T: Do not try to represent yourself. Having an attorney who knows the law is crucial in the fight for your rights and freedom.
- DO: It is important to take photos of any injuries that you have from the incident that took place. This can provide evidence for your defense team.
- DO: Stay calm and level-headed. Avoid using any drugs or alcohol that may influence your behavior and lead to additional issues.
- DO: Protecting your personal property may be difficult if you are unable to go back to your home. Our firm can assist with this, so do ask for help protecting your assets.
Let Our Talented Criminal Defense Attorneys Help
It is essential to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Get in touch with our firm now by calling 603-876-6474 or sending us an email. We can get started discussing your case and options.